definition

Com´mon`ty

n.

1.

(Scots Law) A common; a piece of land in which two or more persons have a common right.



Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Scots Trad Music Awards - Shortlist Announced

From Alison Burns

4 musicians from Dumfries and Galloway are up for awards at this years Scots Trad Music Awards! 

Emily Smith - Album of the Year & Scots Singer of the Year
What are your plans for the future?
To continue touring, recording and working on new music. I’m also enjoying being part of two new collaborative projects ‘Footprints’ (recent performances include The Fringe in Edinburgh, 2014) and The McMath Project (debuting at Dumfries & Galloway Arts Festival in May 2015).

Robyn Stapleton - Scots Singer of the Year
Why are you involved in Scottish music?
‘I love being able to express my own culture, identity and language through music and song. I’m extremely proud of the Scots language and Scotland’s vast music tradition and I feel privileged to be able share that with others.’

Gavin Marwick - Composer of the Year & Live Act of the Year

Tell us about yourself
“I’m a fiddle player/composer, originally from Edinburgh and now living in Galloway. Over 25 years as a professional musician, I’ve taken great inspiration from the people, places and cultures that life has introduced me to, and mixed with the opportunities to compose for various bands, musicians, theatre, TV, other different commissions or indeed just for fun, I’ve written some 3000 tunes altogether. In 2014, thanks to a grant from Creative Scotland, I self-published a first collection of tunes, called ‘Horizons’ (200 tunes), and also released a companion double album, recorded with a large bunch of musician friends, called ‘The Long Road and The Far Horizons’.”

Alison Burns - Community Project of the Year for The Big Song Relay

Why are you involved in Scottish music?
Scottish Traditional music continues to be one of the most exciting living music traditions – I can’t imagine living in Scotland and not being part of it. I love being part of a tradition that is so creative and forward looking.

Please support your local musicians by voting for them -  before 28th November - here: http://projects.scottishcultureonline.com/scotstradmusicawards/voting/

No comments:

Post a Comment