From Brampton and District Choir
Brampton and District Choir is a well-established community choir based in Brampton. The choir was founded in 2005 by respected local musician Stuart Stokell, who directed and developed the standard to an admired level. After an interim year under the directorship of Andy Webster, the choir is now seeking the commitment of a new long term musical director.
Choir members attend from a wide area around the town, and meet on Wednesday evenings in the Methodist Hall from September to June. The four part choir sing a repertoire from classical, through traditional to arrangements of modern music. Currently the Choir presents two concerts a year, along with performances at other locations by invitation. Some of the proceeds from our concerts are donated to local charities and the choir has raised several thousand pounds in this way.
The new musical director will have the challenge of inspiring the choir and maintaining and improving the standard of singing from its 60 members. Our Membership covers a wide age and ability range. Many members do not read music, and new members are not required to take an audition. The weekly emphasis is on enjoyment, but with a commitment to learn and improve. A sense of humour is essential. The choir has a regular accompanist, Jerry King, at rehearsals and concerts.
A Job Description and Person Specification are set out below. The position of Musical Director of the Brampton and District Choir is a remunerated post. If you require more information or would like an informal discussion with one of our Committee Members please contact our Chair, Colin Partington, firstname.lastname@example.org or 01228 670 565.
If you are interested in applying, please submit a musical CV with references and a covering letter no later than Friday 6 February 2015 to Colin Partington at email@example.com
We intend to interview and audition shortlisted candidates during February 2015. The audition will include warming up the choir, and rehearsing two short pieces you will have been given in advance, one of which will be familiar to choir members, and one new.
Job Description and Person Specification
The Musical Director will be required to:
1. Propose a musical programme for each concert, in agreement with the accompanist, and advise on the selection of solo singers, duets etc.
2. Conduct one evening rehearsal every week (apart from Christmas, Easter and Summer holidays), plus an additional pre-concert rehearsal on the four Monday evenings in the lead up to the each performance. Each rehearsal must be properly planned, with the accompanist briefed in advance.
3. Attend to the needs of the choir in terms of vocal quality and technical ability. Work on voice production in a planned and purposeful way for the long term.
4. Conduct the choir in our formal concerts and on other engagements which may arise.
The successful candidate will:
1. Be confident in conducting and voice-training successful amateur choirs
2. Have knowledge of a wide range of relevant composers and their music
3. Have a stock of patience and a sense of humour
4. Be a good communicator and able to enthuse singers
5. Have good ideas for repertoire and staging high quality concerts
6. Be able to source sheet music and possible engagements
7. Be professional in attitude and organisation
8. Be able to work co-operatively with the committee and accompanist
Further information about the choir is available online here and any interested person should contact our Chairperson, Colin Partington, in the first instance at firstname.lastname@example.org or 01228 670 565.